Pages

Saturday, August 5, 2017

To the Max

I have been piecing blocks for this Kittens pattern for the 2017 Rainbow Scrap Challenge…



I wanted to be sure to include blocks representing the cats that I have had IRL…unlike the green and blue Kittens blocks! So, I was excited that this month’s color is light, creams/neutrals. I’m including white in this color scheme, so I can pay homage to my wonderful white kitty Max Cat…



I got Max Cat back in 1985 when I graduated from college and moved into my own place (please don’t do the math!!) Max had a buddy back then, Alexis…



…and I will make a black Kitten block for her later on.

Max Cat had the sweetest temperament of any cat I’ve had, and he was such a lovey guy. I’m happy I was able to make a block for him…



I know the eyes are a little…off. I colored in the pupil with a gel fabric pen that I use for signing quilts to see how it would look. I have to live with it for a bit, but I may end up fusing a fabric pupil on the eyes.

And he wasn’t always Max Cat. He started out as plain old Max, but then after I was married we took in a sweet Dalmatian when his original owners divorced…



…and his name was Max also, so the kitty quickly became Max Cat.

I now have 17 Kitten blocks for the RSC for 2017…



That’s a pretty good looking litter and I really enjoy making these blocks. They go together fast and it’s instant gratification for me! This will be a busy month, but if I have time I will look through more of my neutral/light scraps and see if I can put together another Kitten or two.

That’s it from here today. I hope you have a great weekend and I will be linking up with Angela for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy. Head over for some wonderful projects.


16 comments:

  1. Your kittie collection is cute. Especially love the tiny pink nose. I am a cat and dog lover too, love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE seeing all the kittens together on the design wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each cat block has so much personality. I love the Max block and the story that goes with it. Alexis will definitely have to join this litter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that you can make a kitten block to honor your Max Cat! I think it looks great. I imagine it is pretty tricky to get the eyes just right no matter what you do! Maybe they will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kittens look great, and I think the eyes are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Max Cat looks great! I actually really like the eyes; that print seems like it was *made* to be cat eyes. Your rainbow kitties look great!

    Would this pattern work well for cutting the background pieces all at once, or because each cat is different, are the pieces all different? I've considered this pattern for RSC for next year, but have found that I do better if all I need to do each month is cut that month's color and have the background pieces ready to go; I get much more behind if I need to cut both each month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cat blocks are so cute and full of personality! My favorite is Max Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of your cat blocks and the stories that go with them! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cat blocks are so cute and full of personality! My favorite is Max Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Max cat is beautiful! What a sweet way to honor all your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely idea to commemorate your cats this way. It will be a very special quilt for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All your cats are so cute, what a great RSC idea! And very special to commemorate your own cats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are such cute cats that any color will work fine for them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved seeing your sweet litter of kitties all together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful collection of kitties.

    ReplyDelete